Best Fertilizer for Herbs
To plant a seed is to believe in forever, so goes an old saying. Come to think of it, nothing can be farther from this truth. It takes great belief that from a teeny weeny bit of seed will grow the leaves, flowers, and fruits we all love to savor and enjoy. It doesn’t happen overnight, mind you.
Planting a seed takes time, weeks even. But with lots of tender loving care of watering, cultivating, pulling weeds around it, and making sure it’s free of pests and diseases, you can make sure that from its humble beginning, great things are in store for the patient gardener and farmer.
One of the most commonly planted in homes are herbs. They are very popular especially for those who loves to cook because they can simply go out and pick fresh herbs from their garden. They are the easiest plant to take care of because it very low maintenance.
They are easy to grow unlike plants like celery, lettuce, and onion. As low maintenance herbs are, they still need some fertilizer every now and then. Since herbs are made to be consumed, the best fertilizer to use are all-natural or organic ones.
By using an organic fertilizer, it will make it healthier and safer for us and it works much better than those that were made with chemicals. There are a lot of great organic fertilizers out there to choose from. To make it easier for you, we will be listing the top 3 best fertilizer for herbs.
Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer Spikes with Biozome
This fertilizer from Jobe’s Organics contains all organic ingredients. It does not contain any type of synthetic chemicals which makes it a great choice to use. The company has been around as early as 1969 so they really know what is best when it comes to plants.
Every product is different. To understand it better before purchasing, here is a list of the features it has:
- Contains their exclusive Biozome formula which maintains and improves the overall quality of your soil, helps resist drought, insects, and diseases
- To be applied every 6-8 weeks
- Has fertilizer analysis of 2-7-4
- Perfectly designed for edible plants
- Contains 50 spikes per package
- Pre-measured for easy and mess-free application
- Has a 90-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with their product
There are several advantages that comes with each product. Below is a list of the positive things this fertilizer has:
- Because they are in a form of spikes, it prevents us from wasting even a tiny bit of product and makes it free from any mess
- Contains specific instructions which makes it great for beginners
- Convenient to use because of the fertilizer’s slow release
- Helps grow plants whatever season it is
- Marketed for tomatoes and vegetables, but perfect for herbs and fruits as well
- Safe for animals if every accidentally consumed
This fertilizer is without a doubt wonderful. As great as it is, no product is perfect. Here is a short list of disadvantages that you may get from this product:
- The label says to put 8 spikes per plant which is a lot compared to other products
- It is a little expensive
- Has a possibility of melting fast
Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer Poly Bag
Made by the company Dr. Earth that has been around for more than 2 decades.Their goal is to support organic gardeners and make people aware of the advantages of having an organic lifestyle.
To help you know whether or not this fertilizer is the best for your herbs, here is a list of features it has:
- Contains 100% organic ingredients and is OMRI certified
- Has a blend of seaweed extract, kelp meal, fish bone meal, mined potassium sulfate, and their special pro-biotic seven champion strains of valuable soil microbes and ecto and endo mycorrhizae
- Designed especially for edible plants
- Has a 5-7-3 fertilizer analysis
- Has a powder formula that can last for months
There are plenty of perks you can get from using this product. Below is the fertilizer’s pros:
- You will see positive results as soon as 2 weeks
- It is a well-balanced fertilizer and does not require additional products
- Safe for pets
- Will help you produce abundant crops in a small amount of time
- Works well no matter how hot the weather is
- Can be used on flowers too
Every good thing has its own downsides. Here is some things that you should be aware of before purchasing:
- Because of the ingredients used, it produces a strong fish smell
- Not that advisable to use for indoor plants because of its pungent smell
- Requires you to use a filter or a strainer which is not included in the package
Gardner &Bloome Organics Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer
This fertilizer is manufactured by Kellogg Garden Products and has been around for almost a century. It is a family owned business and registers all of their soils and fertilizers to OMRI and OIM.
This fertilizer manufactured by one of the pioneers in organic garden products definitely sets the bar high. Below is a list of its features:
- Perfectly designed for vegetables, tomatoes, and herbs
- OMRI and OIM certified
- Contains bacteria and mycorrhizae which provides many benefits to your plants
- 4-6-3 fertilizer analysis
- Can be used in any season
When it comes to the field of fertilizers, this product definitely has one of the best perks and reviews. Here are the things you will love about the Gardner & Bloome organics tomato, vegetable & herb fertilizer:
- Produces nutritious and delicious crops
- Will make your plants healthier and stronger
- They are exactly as described
For every product, there is always room for improvement. Here is a very short list of its disadvantages:
- It is very expensive compared to other products
- Requires the use of a good set spray
Planting herbs or any type of plant requires a lot of patience, love, and care. Make your crops healthier and stronger with the use of fertilizers. There are plenty of great fertilizers out there in the market.
Be sure to purchase one that will provide all your needs, and most importantly, make sure that they are 100% organic. Some product may be suitable for some and not for others. Do your best to weigh in all the options you have.